Wednesday, January 9, 2013

solstice scents lavender vanilla


Solstice Scents Lavender Vanilla 10ml perfume oil


Lavender Essential Oil paired with sweet creamy vanilla and smooth French Vanilla. The lavender essential oil starts out powerfully then descends into the background as the creamy vanilla emerges. After some time on the skin, the vanilla takes center stage as the primary and lasting note, enhanced by a ghostly memory of lavender.

I have some stressful medical stuff to deal with today (unfortunately the last 5 months has been nothing but stressful medical stuff... ), so when I picked out my perfume for the day I wanted something calming and comforting. Solstice Scents Lavender Vanilla fits the bill perfectly.

In the bottle it's immediately all lavender, but as I sniff it more the slightest creamy vanilla comes out. Wet on skin it's all strong lavender, no vanilla in sight... to the point where I wasn't sure I was even going to like this when I first tried my sample of it. I like lavender, but I prefer it mixed with other scents, because on its own, especially if it's strong, I find it a bit overbearing and sometimes it gives me a headache. I like a gentle, soothing lavender, not a smack you in the face lavender. But true to the description, the vanilla peeks out after a few minutes, and then once the oil has completely dried down it's mostly a vanilla scent with hints of soft lavender. The vanilla is sweet and creamy but not overly so - it's more like high-quality vanilla bean ice cream than sugary buttercream frosting.

I really like this scent when I'm feeling stressed out or when I can't sleep. It goes on strong, but the scent it dries down to is just so soothing and lovely.

Throw and lasting power is below average for a SS oil - I usually find them quite strong and long-lasting, but this doesn't stick around for too long. The throw is decent while it's there, actually, but after a few hours the scent is mostly gone. I can still smell something on my wrists, but it's not recognizable as Lavender Vanilla. Still, I don't mind reapplying, and honestly I usually wear it before bed so the longevity isn't much of an issue.

Lavender Vanilla is part of Solstice Scents' general catalog and they also sell a body ganache in this scent.

Would I buy it again? Yes. It's not a scent I wear all the time, but when I need something pretty and calming I'm glad to have it around. It's like the perfume equivalent of a cup of hot tea at the end of a long day, and I don't have too many of those in my collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment