Wednesday, February 6, 2013

state of the blog 2.6.13

I'm a bit under the weather today, so instead of trying to sniff and review something with a drippy nose I thought I'd post some random bits about what will be coming up on the blog in the near future.

I've got small (very small! really!) orders coming my way from Solstice Scents and Haus of Gloi at the moment, so look forward to reviews of HoG's new Butterbombs and Solstice Scents' new premium fragrance, Rose Mallow Cream. I don't know when I started liking rose scents so much - or at all, really - but it's like ever since Come Hither wormed its way under my skin I can't resist them. Rose Mallow Cream sounds amazing: a mix of genuine rose absolutes, marshmallow, and white chocolate. So amazing, in fact, that I didn't even bother ordering a sample first. Hopefully that doesn't come back to bite me.

I'll also be getting quite a large amount of Arcana oils in in the near future - 7 bottles, plus samples. But I don't have to feel bad about this one! I did an illustration for Julia to use in the Valentine's collection, and part of my payment is coming in product. (Best currency.) It was a really fun job and I'm super happy with how it came out. She ended up using it on two labels (Venus Callipyge and Venus Libertina), so I'll be posting about that both here and on my art blog once I receive the bottles. In addition to those I'll have Amorini, CakeLust, Star Light, Quim, Murder Ballad Blues, and a sample of Bonfires at Dusk to review. Probably a few others as well. I already have a sample of Quim, and spoilers: I love it.

Moving on from perfume (WUT) to the "vegan beauty" part of the description up there under the title... I haven't really done much of that yet, but I want to! I'm both a beauty junkie and a long-time vegan, so yeah, I want to talk about it. I think I've avoided it because to be honest it's a very complicated topic and everyone draws their personal line in a different place, so what I consider vegan, someone else may not. I'll explain my stance when I post my first beauty bit, which should be sometime soon-ish because...

I think I found a vegan bb cream AT THE DRUGSTORE! Emphasis on I think. It's by a company that doesn't test, and wading through the ingredients doesn't set off any immediate red flags. I'll do a more thorough check before I post about it, but I'd give it a preliminary thumbs up. Whether or not it matches my skin at all remains entirely to be seen, however.

Actually come to think of it, the generic CVS store brand version of the Garnier bb cream might be vegan too. Unfortunately the lightest color is light/medium, which, if it's anything like the one it's knocking off, is both too dark and Oompa Loompa orange.

So yeah, I'm kind of bb cream crazy lately. Just foundation crazy in general, really. I was never much into bases and face makeup until recently, but now I'm all about them and I'm finding it very difficult to get one that is vegan and matches my weird pale yellowy/olive skin tone and works with my currently oily/dry combo skin type and provides light, non-masky coverage and isn't loose minerals and isn't $45 a tube. And and and. My list of things to try includes: OCC's tinted moisturizer (currently sold out, wah wah), Tarte's new bb cream, and Too Faced's version. A trip to Ulta is in my near future for sure. I've also been experimenting with making my own bb cream/souped up tinted moisturizer type thing, which, we'll see how that goes.

I think that's it? I've been testing out two cheap mascaras with predictably mixed results. And I'm eyeing up a couple of Too Faced blushes right now (as in they've been in my bag on the Sephora website for like two weeks) but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. Perhaps, perhaps.

And now I'm going to go back to sniffling under the covers and watching Pretty Little Liars.

END SCENE.

No comments:

Post a Comment